Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Sympathy

I had surgery yesterday. I didn't shout it out to the roof top prior before having surgery that I was going to have surgery. I told my employer, because I was going to take a half day off at the office. I had two teeth extracted. My oral surgeon numbed me and gave me laughing gas. The procedure took no more than 45 minutes. I felt fine afterwards. I arrived at work this morning and within an hour and a half I had to leave the office because I was feeling the post surgery pain. Weird.

And as I returned home to an empty apartment in A LOT of pain, I became lonely because I had no one and there was no one to take care of me. So I texted a couple of friends to let them know I had surgery, yesterday. Why? Because we are humans. At the end of the day. When we know we have to be in the bed to recuperate from whatever illness we have, we still love it when people fawn over us and asking if "we're okay?". There's nothing more fulfilling to know that there are people out there who indeed "care about us" and want you to get better.

No matter, how you alienate yourself from the outside world and how independent you come, there is ALWAYS that part of you that wants that security of knowing that you are cared for.

I can take it a step forward, and say, when we go online, we browse the websites for information, but also, we browse for a connection--a human connection. Because if this world is so big and we all are pretty much "connected" via the world wide web, then there must be someone out there who wants to make that "connection" with just you and only you.

Seth Godin said it best in one of his blogs last week:


What (people) want

What do customers, friends, the socially networked, users, neighbors, classmates, servers, administrators, employees... maybe even brands... want?
notice me
like me
touch me
do what I say
miss me if I'm gone

No comments:

Post a Comment